Friday, October 17, 2008

Silk Scarves Commission


Earlier this summer I was approached by my Aunt who asked if I would be interested in creating a piece for her.
She had been wearing and collecting silk scarves for most of her professional life, purchasing from artists and when she had an important event or occasion to commemorate.
Unfortunately her home sustained a water leak into the basket which contained almost every single scarf she had amassed. The scarves were ruined by the dyes rubbing off on one another ,but were saved in hopes of salvaging to another purpose.
As a quilter I am, of course, familiar with this concept of converging disparate parts of textiles into a newly useable form.
This will be the first time I have constructed a piece from mostly silk and also the first time I blog about the project process from start to finish.
I have a simple design idea to start out with, but am open to the prospect of the inevitable evolution of the finished product.

No comments: